The history of higher
education in Debrecen goes back to the
16th century. The city established the Calvinist College of
Debrecen in 1538. The College became soon the most important
cultural center of the whole country, where a great number of
writers, scientists and politicians received their education.
In the 18th century the schools of Law and Theology were
founded and although no separate School of Medicine existed,
physicians were also trained in the College.
Today's University Medical School is rooted in this spiritual
heritage. The present day Debrecen is also famous for its
schools and higher educational establishments. The Medical
School of the University of Debrecen is
Central Europe’s first
campus medical school.
It was in the year of the millennium
(1896) of Hungary’s foundation when the establishment of a
modern University was decided upon in Debrecen. The
University was officially inaugurated on October 23, 1918 and at
that time consisted of four faculties: Arts, Science, Theology and
Medicine. The Faculty of Medicine became an independent
University Medical School under the supervision of the Ministry
of Health in 1951.
The Medical School has 22 departments of basic sciences and
25 clinical departments specializing in various fields e.g. clinical
chemistry, internal medicine, surgery, orthopedics, radiology,
neurology, neurosurgery, psychiatry, pediatrics, obstetrics and
gynecology, cardiology and pulmonology, oto-rhino-laryngology,
dermatology, ophthalmology, stomatology and urology. The
Medical School serves as the city hospital for Debrecen
therefore students of upper terms may also obtain their clinical